Sunday, March 22, 2009

Ahh.. Norton Anti Virus..

Ok..

So today’s blog will be relatively short, but I felt the need to vent. Yesterday my machine started to act pretty weird, and it was time to diagnose the problem on the weekend before another busy week in the studio.

While Diagnosing the issues at hand, the machine started performing more and more poorly. I decided, I would nip this in the bud and take care of the problem before I found myself in the midst of a session and a computer crash at the same time.

I backed up everything that I needed from the main drive, (Luckily I learned long ago that I keep all storage and production related media and files on a D: drive and execute regular backups to insure no loss of client files or data) and double checked it for accuracy.

I performed a low level format on the C: drive and wiped the whole thing clean. This basically resurfaces and prepares the drive by erasing everything and I mean EVERYTHING from storage. It’s like wiping the dirt clean with a washcloth. :)

I then put in my fresh factory Vista install DVD and performed a clean install of Vista, which pretty much took a majority of my afternoon. Of course with that install, comes all the updates and additional software that comes with Vista and I purposely keep my extras to a minimum on this machine so as not to reduce performance with Digital Recording and Editing software.

I finished all that, and then installed all my digital audio software, device drivers for my Interface, Photoshop and Web software, etc. I left it for the day, as I was very tired and just wanted to chill out and play some Xbox. I knew everything was working all right and the machine was screaming. I was loving this.. :)

This morning, I got up, got the dog fed, made coffee and went right to the studio and turned it all on. I found that the machine was still working great and wasn’t having any problems or errors in the regular use area.

Now I was looking at what kind of Virus software I was going to install. I installed my Norton as I had done numerous times before, and all of a sudden, my machine performance was tanking and the errors were back. Needless to say I ripped that thing out of there faster than how do you do, and went back to the drawing board.

I remembered that Charter Cable had advertised free virus software to high speed clients, and jumped on the website to check it out. Low and behold I found that they offered a pretty comprehensive package and it was free, so I downloaded and installed it, and wow.. much better. It doesn’t slow the machine down at all, my web surfing got ALLOT faster, and it should be for having 10 meg high speed service, and runs seamlessly in the background.

Moral of the story, If you’re having issues with Norton, check out your service provider and see what kinds of free protection they may offer, you never know, it just might solve the problem..

That’s what it’s all about anyhow right? Problem free operation?

Bye for now,

Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment